It's a well known fact that fish bring a sense of relaxation to a home, however, before actually bringing them into your home you'll need to know how to prepare a new aquarium for fish. In addition to the serene benefits of owning a new aquarium, a well prepared tank makes a beautiful addition to your home or even office. One must use caution before bringing fish home to live and steps must be followed to properly prepare for their arrival.
What you'll need to prepare a new aquarium for fish:
- Decorative items
- Aquarium filter
- Aquarium heater
- Water conditioner treatment
- Find a location. The first thing that you'll want to do when preparing a new aquarium for fish is to locate a sturdy spot on which to place your new aquarium. Try to find a location that is not only sturdy but free of drafts as well.
- Clean the tank. Rinse the inside of your new aquarium for fish thoroughly with water and dry completely using a paper towel. Take this opportunity to check for any leaks.
- Place gravel in the tank. Next you will want to decorate the inside of the aquarium. Choose gravel for the bottom of your tank and rinse thoroughly to remove any dirt or dust. Place any decorative pieces or plants on top of the gravel.
- Pour in water. Add room temperature tap water to the tank, using caution to keep the gravel in place. Try placing a bowl or cup on top of the gravel and pour the water directly into the opening. Continue to pour until you have completely filled the tank.
- Put on the heater and filters. Depending on what type of fish you'll have in the aquarium, add a heater to maintain the correct water temperature. Attach the correct filter for your tank to help maintain the cleanliness of the water.
- Treat the water. One of the most important steps when preparing a new aquarium for fish is to add a water conditioner. Measure and use the amount listed on the instructions. Allow your fish tank to run, minus fish, for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Add one pound of gravel for every gallon of water that your tank holds.
- Without proper filtration, fish waste can poison the water in your tank. Be sure to rinse or change the filter as directed by the manufacturer.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.