How To Prepare For Online Dates
Preparing for online dates can be more stressful than the traditional blind date. You have only had that person's information to base your expectations on so far, and you have very little way of verifying what they tell you until once you've gotten to know each other in person.
- Decide in advance where you want to go. Often, for first online dates, the couple will meet at a designated location. This way they each have their own transportation in case things are not working out or if the online date turns out to be a liar and you want to get out of there fast.
- Go Dutch, unless you're a total gentlemen. It's easiest on both people involved to have a clear strategy for the online date in mind. This doesn't have to be a seven-slide power point presentation, but deciding in advance that you will both pay for yourselves can help take the pressure off. Guys can suggest this gently, if she doesn't volunteer, with something as simple as, "Do you mind if we 'Go Dutch' for the first date?" If she doesn't understand, just explain that this means 'pay for ourselves.' For ladies, it's best to save him the trouble and volunteer.
- Keep it public. Guys have to worry just as much as girls about blind dates and online dating. You never know who you will actually be meeting, so it's best to meet in a public setting, well lit area around the location and parking lot, safe neighborhood, and so forth.
- Tell people where you are going and when you will be back. This is more of a personal safety precaution. The danger doesn't have to be from the date, it could be from a vehicle crash or traffic that could keep you from being home at the reported time. Telling at least one friend and family member can help keep you safe.
- Don't try too hard. Everyone says this because it's true. Be yourself and the online date will go well if you are compatible. Don't try to act any differently than you do when you're with friends or alone. By being open and honest in the beginning, about your feelings and about who you are, the relationship has strong growth potential.