Backpacking can lead to extraordinary adventures, but it is important for novice hikers to know how to prepare for trekking. Appropriate clothing, sturdy shoes and a plentiful supply of water and snacks are only a few of the things that should be considered before setting out on foot. Don’t forget your compass when learning how to prepare for trekking.
When learning how to prepare for trekking, you will need:
- Water bottle
- Iodine tablets
- Warm clothing
Instructions for learning how to prepare for trekking:
- When learning how to prepare for trekking, choose a backpack based on the duration of your trip. If you plan to hike a short day trip without camping, a small pack is perfect. If you plan to camp you will need a tent, sleeping bag and additional supplies for cooking, thus leading to a larger pack.
- Pack a compass and map of the trail. Although trails are often clearly marked, carry a compass and map of the surrounding area in case you step off the path and find yourself lost.
- Hiking through rough terrain burns calories fast. Remember to bring nutritious snacks such as apples, peanuts and protein bars to stay fueled for your adventure. You don’t want your hiking buddies laughing at your growling stomach only an hour down the trail.
- A water bottle is an absolute necessity when learning how to prepare for trekking. Fill your bottle with water before you set out. When trekking, if your bottle runs low look for a moving stream to refill. Never fill your bottle with stationary water as this water is more likely to contain bacteria. Drop an iodine tablet into your water bottle after filling it from a fast-moving stream.
- Pack layers of warm clothes that can be worn if the temperature drops. Although the weather may be warm at the base of the path, it may drop the farther down the trail you travel. This is especially true when hiking up a mountain. Forgetting warm clothing is a rookie mistake made by hikers learning how to prepare for trekking.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …