How to preserve fish is not a difficult task if you follow a few simple steps. It must be done properly to ensure that all harmful bacteria, spores, along with anything that could be harmful are safely removed or prevented prior to preserving fish. There are multiple different ways, and procedures on how to preserve fish. Some different methods of preserving fish are freezing, canning, pickling, and smoking. Below we'll outline the easiest way to preserve fish, which is freezing it.
- Remove all the guts, and clean the fish as soon as possible after catching.
- You can now prepare the fish as though you are about to eat them. Cut large fish into strips, and freeze small fish whole.
- To preserve fish you first make sure to wrap them in a manner that is airtight, and will prevent freezer burn. This will also aid in reducing the changes of unwanted flavors, as bacteria among other factors could cause flavors that are not natural to the fish. Saran wrap the fish as tightly as possible, leaving no parts of the fish to be exposed to the open air. Next you will want a simple zip lock bag large enough to ensure it is not torn. Some will even use double zip locks just incase one of them is torn by accident.
- Make sure your freezer temperature is at or below zero degrees Fahrenheit.
- Date the fish as you freeze them so you know when they will no longer be safe to eat.
There are different storage life spans of fish even if preserved, and frozen. Northern pike, smelt, and lake trout are good for anywhere from four to six months. Bass, Sunfish, Bluegills, and crappies will be good for seven to nine months. Yellow perch, and Walleyes are good for at least nine months, however remember to always use your best judgment.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …