How to Prevent Knee Injuries Caused By Running
Want to know how to prevent knee injuries? Knee injuries are one of the most common injuries incurred by runners and preventing knee injuries caused by running is one of the surest ways to keep running and training strong. The key to preventing knee injuries is a combination of proper gear and smart training. The following tips should keep your knees healthy.
- Shoes: Runners destroy shoes and poor shoes can destroy knees. Runners are encouraged to replace their shoes every 300 miles to ensure maximum support and cushion. Good support is one of the best ways to prevent knee injuries caused by running.
- Gel-Inserts: Extra support is another great way to prevent knee injuries caused by running. A simple heel or arch pad can work magic on the knees.
- Stretching: Proper stretching affects everything, including the joints. Stretching before and after a work out is a great way to prevent injuries.
- Weight training: Poor muscle mass in the legs, specifically the quads, can lead to knee strain. Building up these muscles is another way to prevent knee injuries caused by running.
- Surface: Running on a hard, unforgiving surface can shred your knees. Try to run on gravel or grass--anything with a bounce. Running smart will always help you prevent knee injuries.
- Cross-train: Low impact training is a great way to stay in good cardiovascular shape without destroying your joints. To prevent knee injuries caused by running, stop running, at least for a little while. Swimming is the best cross training for runners.
- Wear a brace: This won’t do much to prevent knee injuries caused by running, but it will help a runner that already has an injury.