How To Punt A Football Far
If you want your punts to pin opponents within their twenty yard line, then you are probably interested in learning how to punt a football far. The key to a long punt is being able to punt a spiral. Knowing how to punt a football spiral means your punts will have less resistance and travel further and have an increased hang time. Here is everything you need to know about how to punt a football far.
- Hold the football by one end with the laces facing up. Use your dominant hand to hold the football by the end. It is important to make sure the laces are facing up, otherwise they can interfere with your punt.
- Take two steps forward. Take your first step with your dominant leg, and then plant on your other leg on the second step. This step in learning how to punt a football far is all about timing. You don't want your steps to be too large, as that brings you closer to rushers and takes longer for you to get the punt off. Part of knowing how to punt a football far is being able to get the punt off quickly.
- Drop the football from about waist high. This is the most difficult step in learning how to punt a football far. You have to time your drop to coincide with the swing of your leg, drop the football so the laces remain facing up, and have the football land on the sweet spot of your kicking foot. The sweet spot is the top of your foot meeting with the fattest part of the football. Hitting the sweet spot will increase the distance of your punts by a considerable amount, along with increasing hang time allowing your players to get down the field and effectively cover the punt.
- Swing your dominant leg straight forward. This is another step in learning how to punt a football far that takes some practice, as a lot of people feel like they should kick across their bodies rather than straight forward. Kicking across the body greatly increases the chances of shanking the football to one side or the other and having a terrible punt. Following through straight will give you the most power, and as long as you are connecting with the sweet spot you will have a nice spiral on your punt.
- Watch your punt soar. After you have practiced these steps you should be able to punt some booming spirals. Congratulations, you now know how to punt a football far.