Rather than paying a mechanic for the work, learning how to put a belt on a Jeep Grand Cherokee is quite easy. You don't necessarily need to wait until the belt breaks before replacing it. The serpentine or V-belt on a Jeep Grand Cherokee is crucial to operating the alternator, air conditioning and power steering systems. But with the right planning and the proper tools, you can put a belt on a Jeep Grand Cherokee in about ten minutes.
- Pen and paper
- Rachet and socket set
- New serpentine belt
- Prepare the Jeep Grand Cherokee for belt replacement. Place the car in park and engage the parking break. Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable and locate the serpentine belt. Look down towards the ground near the front of the engine. The belt will be visible in the space between the engine and the radiator.
- Locate or create a routing diagram for the belt. Many Jeep Grand Cherokees will include a routing diagram for the serpentine belt on a decal under the hood. If no routing diagram is available, create your own using the pen and paper. Draw the placement of the serpentine belt in relation to the various pulleys and components. Take care to note exactly how the belt sits, either above or below these components.
- Remove the existing belt. Locate the tensioner pulley and use the rachet and sockets to carefully rotate the tensioner pulley to loosen the belt. Do not let the pulley snap loose as it is easily damaged. Remove the old belt and discard.
- Install the new belt on your Jeep Grand Cherokee. Route the belt exactly as the old belt was situated, using the diagram on the truck or the one you created. Be sure to place the ribbed side of the belt inward, touching the components, and in the same configuration as suggested on the diagram.
- Rotate the tensioner pulley to tighten the belt. Use the rachet and sockets to replace the tensioner pulley to its original position. This will remove the slack on the belt.
- Inspect and test the installation. Look at each area of the belt to make sure it is seated properly on the various components and installed in the correct configuration. Reconnect the battery and turn the engine of the Jeep Grand Cherokee on and allow it to run for several minutes. Inspect the belt, which should be moving, to ensure it's seated properly and all components are rotating properly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.