Have you been putting off buying a new BMX bike because you were not sure how to put a BMX bike back together after purchase? This guide will give you step-by-step directions to putting a BMX bike back together, while also giving you some basic information for bike maintenance.
Things you will need:
- Allen Wrenches
- Flathead and Phillips screwdrivers
- Wrench Set
- BMX bike
- Ratchet set with extension
- Make sure that all the parts and packaging have come with your BMX bike. The first step to put a BMX bike back together is by opening the box to your BMX bike and checking the package list to make sure all the parts are included. Make sure to unpack each smaller box to locate the manual and any bolts, nuts and washers.
- Next, you need to install the fork. Make sure that the headset is in place on the top of the hole at the front end of the BMX bike frame. You need to take the fork and insert it into the same hole on the bottom. You need to align and tighten the headset to the fork with your allen wrench after they are set in place.
- Put your seat on next. Attach the seat clamp to the frame and then insert the seat post into the attached seat clamp hole. Take your padded seat and attach it to the seat post. Take your time to tighten any loose nuts with your wrench set.
- Loosen the faceplate from the headset to install the handlebars. You need to use the allen wrench to loosen the bolts attaching the faceplate to the headset. Remove the faceplate from the headset and make sure to keep them in a safe place for a later step. Place the handlebars into the grooves on the headset. You should now attach the faceplate back to the headset using the same bolts. Tighten the faceplate just enough to adjust to the desired position of the handlebar and then finish tightening down the bolts. This is an important step to put a BMX bike back together.
- The next step in putting a BMX bike back together is attaching the brake lines to the detangler. You should have two brake lines running from the brake lever on the right side of the handlebar. Attach the thumbscrew to the top plate of the detangler on both the left and right side, then take the end of the cables and snap them into the bottom plate of the detangler. Check the brake lever after the installation for any problems.
- Install the front wheel next. To put a BMX bike back together, you will need to install the front wheel to the fork next. Slide the wheel up into the front fork and add the washers to each side. Next, insert the nut into your socket and use a socket extension to slide through the peg and tighten to the frame on both sides of the wheel. Loosen the nuts on the back wheel and follow the same steps to install pegs on the back.
- Install the pedals next. You will need to inspect the pedals first for a sticker on engraving with the letters "L"or "R" for either the left or right pedal. Take the lubricant and add it to the pedal threads to ensure that they are protected when threading them onto the bike. Hand thread each pedal to the appropriate side and then use a wrench for a final turn.
- Install the chain guard. Using your screwdriver, attach the chain guard to the bike frame. This is usually as simple as snapping the guard into place on the frame and tightening the guard down using screws and pre-made holes in the frame. The guard is usually already in place when you put a BMX bike back together.
- Adjust the seat and hand brakes. The final step is to adjust the bike seat and hand brakes to your particular position. Use the allen wrench to adjust the hand brake lever and your wrench to adjust your seat position. With this final step, you have just put a BMX bike back together.