Whether moving to a new home with your cats or simply making a visit to the vet, you need to know how to put cats in travel carriers. A travel carrier makes any car journey with your cat much simpler, and also safer for your cat. Many cats are terrified during car rides, and will attempt to escape. You can prevent problems like clawing or vomiting on your leather seats by using a travel carrier for your cat.
- Try to get your cat accustomed to the carrier. If at all possible, start when your cat is a kitten, and put treats and toys in the carrier with a blanket. If your cat has learned right from the start to accept the carrier as a positive and comfortable place, you've already won the battle.
- Set up the carrier ahead of time. Before you hunt down the cat, take the carrier into a small room of your house. Set the carrier up on it's back end, with the door facing up and open. When you enter the room with the cat, make sure to close the door of the room, to prevent escape.
- Don't let the cat see the carrier. If you've not been able to get your cat accustomed to the carrier ahead of time, it may associate the crate with fearful situations, like going to the veterinarian. To prevent a kitty panic attack, carry your cat in such a way that it can't see the carrier.
- Lower the cat tail first into the carrier. Lower him down quickly so that he is in the carrier before he realizes what is happening. It may be easier to do this part by holding the cat by the nape of the neck with one hand underneath the back end for support.
- Close the door of the crate quickly. If your cat has started to panic at this point, you may find it easier to have a second person to close the door.
- If all else fails, use the 'burrito' method. If you find that no matter how you try, you can not get your cat into a carrier without risking injury to yourself or the cat, you can use a towel to swaddle the cat safely. The method is the same as above, with the difference that you wrap a towel around your cat, making sure that its paws can't escape. Take care not to wrap too tightly around it's neck. The cat should be able to shake free of the towel once it is safely confined in the crate.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.