The iPod Touch and iPhone are outstanding in their support for thousands of games within the iTunes App Store, but do you know how to put games on an iPod Nano? While the iPod Nano lacks touch-screen capability, the device still offers a selection of games on iTunes. Furthermore, the process for installing these games is similar to using iTunes to upload mp3's to an iPod. So with just a couple of minutes and a few clicks, you can be stomping zombies and baking cakes on your iPod Nano.
What you will need:
- iTunes (and an internet connection)
- An iTunes account
- An iPod Nano
- Visit the iTunes Store. In your iTunes browser, find the link for the iTunes Store in the left-side toolbar. The store is indicated by a green shopping bag icon.
- In a separate internet browser, visit Google.com and search for "iPod Click Wheel Games." In the most recent update to the iTunes Store, Apple removed the generic "Games" link under the Media tab. You can still access the page to download these games, however, by indirectly linking to the store through Apple's website.
- Click the first result: "Apple – Games – iPod." This will direct you to a page with brief entries for all the available games for the iPod Nano.
Scroll to the very bottom of the page and click "Learn more about these games in the iTunes Store." The link will open a page within iTunes, which should already be opened to the iTunes store. Now you have accessed the primary store for click wheel games, designed for the iPod Nano and 5th generation iPod. These games require the use of a click wheel, so they are unique to these devices and unavailable on the iPod Touch or iPhone.
- Browse the iPod Click Wheel Games store. Each individual game has its own page with customer reviews, a basic description, and a link to purchase the game. For example, click "Crystal Defenders." You will see a description of the game play and features on the right side of the browser, and then, near the bottom, several screen shots of the game and a list of customer reviews and ratings.
- When you have selected the game you wish to play, click the grey "Buy Game" button. The cost will be charged to your iTunes account. Now the game will begin downloading to your hard drive. In the meantime, you can move on to step 7.
- Connect the iPod Nano to your computer. Once iTunes has recognized the device, click the icon to access the device. A list of tabs should appear at the top of the page, each relating to a different form of media which can be stored on your iPod Nano.
- Click the "Games" tab. Select "Sync games." By this point you need to be sure that the game has finished downloading, so check up on it by clicking the "Downloads" tab on the left-side of your iTunes browser. If the download has completed, return to the Games tab and click "Sync" or "Apply." If you have followed all of these steps, the game will now be installed on your iPod Nano and you can play it on the go.