How To Put On A Rock Climbing Harness
Learning how to put on a rock climbing harness can be embarrassing the first couple of times. Some rock gyms might not let you climb if you can't demonstrate that you know how to put on a rock climbing harness. The best way to learn how to put on a rock climbing harness is to get your own harness and practice. This way, it will be the same process every time. It is important that you learn how to put on your harness correctly, otherwise it can't save your life.
In order to learn about how to put on a rock climbing harness, you will need:
- A harness
- Knowledge of the different parts of a climbing harness
- Find the Front of the harness. Some harnesses have a colored front gear loop, which makes learning how to put on a rock climbing harness very easy. Take the front gear loop in one hand. Take the wait band in the other hand. The leg loops should be dangling from the waist band.
- Step into the leg loops. Before you do this, make sure the harness is not upside down. If you get confused, return to step one. The leg loops might clip on or they might not be adjustable. Either way, pull up the harness so that it sits comfortably around your hips.
- Fasten any straps. Some harnesses have adjustable leg loops. Others have adjustable waist straps. If this is the case with your harness, make sure that everything is fastened. Don't twist any straps. It is especially important to secure the waist strap. Your climbing harness should not cut off your circulation, but there should not be any gaps between you are your harness.
- Have someone check your harness. Have someone more experienced than yourself check to make sure that you put on your rock climbing harness correctly and that it is tight enough. Your harness is the most important piece of safety equipment when rock climbing. Even if you are an experienced climber, you should always have someone check your harness.