How To Put On Rock Climbing Harnesses
Knowing how to put on rock climbing harnesses is a very important link between life and death. If properly worn, it can save your life. If not, then you could end up injured or worse. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to put on a rock climbing harness correctly.
- Completely open the harness. Completely open the harness and hold it out in front of you. Make sure all the straps are unraveled. The leg loop should be opened and hanging down in front of you.
- Get the leg loops around your legs. Step into the leg loops and place one around each leg. Pull the climbing harness up as high as you can lift it. If done right, the strap connecting the two leg loops should be in front of you and not behind you.
- Wrap the waist strap around your body. Lift the strap that's connecting the two leg loops to were it is in line with your waist. Press the strap against your belly. While is is pressed against your belly, wrap the waist strap around your body.
- Lock the waist strap in place. Thread the waist strap into the buckle on the side of the climbing harness and pull it tight so that there's no slack around your body. If it is not pulled tightly around your waist, you can slip out of the climbing harness. Then, thread the waist strap through the other end of the buckle and pull it tight again to lock the waist strap into place.
- Tighten your leg straps. Find the parts of the straps extending from the leg buckles. Pull the straps hard until the loops are against your thighs. Make sure they are tight.
- Clip the leg strap. Locate the long leg strap that's hanging from the climbing harness. Loop it over the back of the climbing harness next to your spine. Pull it down and clip it behind your opposite leg. Doing this will stop your leg loop from sliding down when you climb.