Do you need to learn how to put a timing belt on a Ford Focus? Fitting a timing belt to a Ford Focus is a very important task, one which keeps you engine running for longer. If a timing belt should stretch or snap from being old, it can be disastrous for the internal parts of your Ford Focus' engine.
- Crankshaft slotted timing peg
- New timing belt
- Socket set and ratchet
- An array of wrenches and screwdrivers
- Before fitting a new timing belt to your Ford Focus, the old one needs to be removed and have the crankshaft locked at top dead center (TDC).
- Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery lead.
- Remove the inner wheel cover and inner splash shield on the passenger side of the engine bay. This will allow you to see the crankshaft pulley of your Ford Focus, the timing belts and the tensioner.
- Remove the spark plugs, the idler pulley and the catalytic converter.
- Turn the crank using a socket and ratchet to TDC and lock it in place with a crankshaft peg.
- With the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys on show, line up the marks. On older Ford's the water pump needs to be removed and it is good practice to swap it for a new one as the new belt could have added tension which could damage the bearings of the old pump.
- Undo the tensioner bolt and move the arm out of the way, securing it out of the way with a drill bit.
- Using the new timing belt, start at the Ford Focus' crankshaft, slide it over the pulleys in the same way you removed it. Tighten the tensioner pulley bolt to 22ft-lbs. Remove the timing peg.
- Refit the splash shield and the timing belt covers including the idler pulley. Reattach the negative battery lead and check that the engine starts to make sure the timing has not be disturbed.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.