How To Qualify For Food Stamps
In these tough economical times, people are asking how to qualify for food stamps. Every little bit of assistance can mean the difference between feeding a family or paying the power bill. So to learn how to qualify for food stamps follow these five simple steps. In 2008, this federal government program adjusted its qualification standards and more people are qualifying for food stamps.
- Gather all household income. Each person in your home that is currently working needs to report income. Even if the person is a teenager and working a part-time job. This income needs to be included. As well as child support and alimony paid out to another person or received from another person.
- Assemble all household assets. this includes the home, vehicles, bank and financial accounts, retirements and rental properties owned. This information will be considered when qualifying for food stamps. Copies of all these important documents may be required when applying for food stamps.
- Show proof of household expenses. this category is for expenses like power or electric bill, homeowners' insurance, telephone, water and all other utilities. When determining eligibility to qualify for food stamps, household expenses are normally deducted as expenses paid out. Make sure to have all the expenses available for case worker if needed.
- Count the people. how many people currently live in the home that's applying for food stamp assistance? This number must be accurate to determine if a household is qualified to receive the assistance. Every person from birth and older must be reported and proof of residency may be required.
- Fill out form. for many years to learn how to qualify for food stamps could only be completed at a local Department of Human Services office. But recently the ability to apply for food stamps has been offered online. It's as simple as having access to the Internet and having all the required income information available. Once the application is filled out, a case worker will notify the person applying for food stamps.