If the idea of how to quit a job you love makes you uncomfortable, follow these helpful hints so that you can feel better about your departure. Keeping these points in mind will provide you with a smooth transition and keep your work relationships in good standing.
- Make sure you're sure. If you are in a job you love, make sure you are quitting for the right reasons. Sometimes, the grass may look greener on the other side, yet when you get there, you find it is filled with crabgrass.
- Tell your boss first. You don't want to catch your boss off guard; that's just not right. Speak to him first before you talk to HR or make your leave official.
- Write a resignation letter. When writing your resignation letter, stick to the facts. This written correspondence will be part of your permanent record, so make sure it is a representation of what you want. Check out some sample resignation letters, which can be found on the Internet.
- Give a two-week's notice. Giving a two-weeks notice is just proper job etiquette. Of course, if you are able to provide more notice, say three or four weeks, that will be even better. This will also give you more time to get used to quitting a job you love.
- Offer to train your replacement. You can feel better about quitting a job you love by making sure your work is covered. By training your replacement, you can feel more confident that he is up to speed.
- Don't burn bridges. You never know what the future holds. Sometime in the future you may need to come back to this job or company, so it is best to keep all bridges intact. Knowing that you didn't burn bridges may make it easier to quit a job you love.
- Work hard till the end. It may be easy to slack off knowing that you are leaving your job in a couple of weeks, but leaving in good standing will make it easier to quit a job you love.
- Maintain contact information. Exchange contact information with friends and key people in the organization. Knowing that you can still talk to your friends will make it easier to quit a job you love.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!