How To Raise Sailboat Mast
If you're new to sailing, learning how to properly raise a sailboat mast is a skill that is a must in this hobby. Doing it for the first time can seem overwhelming, but with a little practice and patience, you will be sailing the high seas in no time.
- Keep the areas around the mast clear, such as the forestay and shroud. This items are attached to the mast and keep it balanced and in place. Be sure that the both are attached correctly before attempting to raise the sailboat mast.
- Untie the mast from any connections. This will allow you to completely raise (and lower) the mast.
- Unite the mast to its mast boot. You can do this by laying the mast on the deck of the sailboat keeping the mast end near the mast step.
- Connect sheeting, or quite simply rope, to the bow of the sailboat. Be sure the connection is clear of any obstacles.
- Connect the boom, or the bottom pole of the rail, to the forestay. Also, attach the sheeting to forestay.
- Add the boom to the end of the mast, making a triangle-like connection with the mast, the boom, and the sail.
- Once everything is in place, you are free to finally pull your mast.
Always try to do the above steps with the aid of another person. If something goes awry, two heads are always better than one. Sometimes pieces and parts don't quite match up so always check your manual before attempting any operation on your sailboat.