Learn how to rebuild a carburetor in this article. Vehicles had carburetors before fuel injectors to supply the engine with fuel. A carburetor is a simple design that opens plates when the throttle is pressed and allows fuel and air into the combustion chamber of the engine in order for the engine to fire properly. You can rebuild a carburetor to save money by following these instructions.
To rebuild a carburetor, you will need:
- Carburetor rebuild kit
- Wrench set
- Safety glasses
- Carburetor cleaner
- Remove the carburetor and place it on a workbench in a well ventilated area. Rebuilding a carburetor produces gasoline fumes that can be dangerous if you do not have proper ventilation.
- Retrieve the instructions that came with the carburetor rebuild kit. Use the instructions as a guide as you disassemble and reassemble the carburetor. Note that each carburetor is different, therefore it is imperative that you follow the proper disassembly instructions.
- Unhook the accelerator pump and take the cover off. Disassemble the choke and remove all hoses and screws. Place the removed parts into specific contains so that you know which screws and hoses attach to which parts on the carburetor.
- Clean the old parts with carburetor cleaner. Note that this chemical is very strong. Wear gloves and eye protection while cleaning the parts with carburetor cleaner.
- Wash the parts in water and then allow them to completely dry. You can't have water in your fuel mixture or the engine will not run properly.
Reassemble the carburetor using your instructions. Hook the accelerator pump back to the unit and connect the necessary hoses along with the choke cable and screws.
Replace the carburetor on the vehicle and start the car. Allow the engine to run for approximately ten minutes to allow any water that might be in the carburetor to dry out.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.