The main driving force behind a racing car is its engine. Its performance is entirely dependent on the condition of the engine. However, even the strongest of race engines, on facing the roughness of excessive and hard-core racing, eventually stop working. Sooner or later, the engine’s performance slows down and it begs for repairs or replacements.
In most spheres of racing, replacing the racing car’s engine may turn out to be a very expensive affair and not the most preferable option. It is more feasible to reconstruct the engine. Though a fairly simple task, this may take up a lot of time to do. You would also need to have some know-how of machines. A dirt free work area would be required as well. In fact, the task can prove to be quite challenging for one without much knowledge of cars, engines and the mechanics of it all.
Things you will need to rebuild an engine:
- Torque wrench
- Cylinder sleeves
- socket sets in standard and metric sizes
- If you want new cylinders for the car, you do not have to bore into the block too much. You can insert new sleeves inside each of the cylinder walls, and what you get is practically brand new cylinders when you rebuild an engine.
- Arrange the pistons and connecting rods and carefully place the new crankshaft inside the engine. Next, you need to assemble the main bearing caps in such a way that they fit into their place. While most engines will have the same process of assembly, in some car engines the crankshaft will have to fit in first, and then the pistons and connecting rods placed inside when you rebuild an engine.
- The head gaskets have to be changed, and new cylinder heads have to be slid in place. In the case of classic valvetrain engines, the camshaft needs to be placed in position first, then the lifters and pushrods installed. However, where overhead camshaft engines are concerned, the lifters and pushrods get installed first, and then the camshafts follow.
- Now assemble the intake manifold. Thereafter, the carburetor and fuel injection, or the fuel delivery system, gets put into place. Lastly, all the accessories of the engine need to be installed and fixed in place in the rebuilt engine.
- Check if all the components have been installed correctly, and all the fittings are in place when you rebuild an engine..
- Though considered a slightly strenuous task, reconstructing a racing car’s engine is certainly not very difficult for one with a passion for machines.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …