Need to know how to rebuild your PS3 Blu-ray laser? One of the distinguishing features present in Sony’s Playstation 3 system is its ability to watch movies that are on Blu-ray discs, Sony’s specialty media format of this console generation. The presence of Blu-ray has helped in establishing the reputation of Sony’s black console as more ‘entertainment-centric’ than its competitors, the Xbox 360 and the Wii.
However, enjoying that Blu-ray feature may not be possible if the system’s Blu-ray laser gives out, as without that laser, your chances of watching high-definition movies on the system are slim to none. Fortunately, there is an easy way to rebuild your Playstation 3’s Blu-ray laser. In doing this, you will need the following:
- A cross head mini screw driver
- A replacement Blu-ray lens, which can be obtained from other Playstation 3 Blu-ray drives or obtained online. A popular place to locate these drives is Ebay, under the part number #kem-400aaa.
- The first step involves taking the top cover of the casing from the Playstation 3. After this is done, remove the power cord from the system, in addition to the power cord from the the Blu-Ray drive itself. This cord in particular will have a rectangular, opaque/white plastic end which goes into the drive.
- Once this first step is completed, then take out the Blu-ray drive and detach the silver data ribbon from the drive. This ribbon is has a blue ending, making it easy to locate.
- Then, remove the silver screws from the right side of the drive casing, and then the three black screws from the left side. In doing this, be sure not to lose any of the screws that are present.
- Once this is done, remove the Blu-ray drive's metal casing, which should expose the secondary lens casing that is underneath it. After this is completed, take out the screws on the black colored plate that covers the lens itself. Then, remove this plate as well.
- Remove the Blu-ray lens screws and then place them to one side. Once this is completed, remove the actual lens unit. In doing this, you want to make sure that nothing happens, as this is a very delicate device.
- Once this is completed, place your new lens in carefully. In doing this, you want to not fumble too much, otherwise it will be damaged. You also want to make sure that it is inserted correctly. After this, everything should be placed back as it was.
It is worth noting that you can also call Sony and, for $150, ask them for assistance in repairing your system's Blu-ray laser should you have a warranty and/or a store receipt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.