Knowing how to record TV shows using a converter box is necessary if you use over-the-air TV in your home. If you have an analog TV that has to be used with a digital converter box, you can still record TV programs. You can use either a DVR, a DVD recorder, or a VCR. Follow these steps to learn how to record TV shows using a converter box.
What you will need to record TV shows using a converter box:
- Video Recorder (VCR, TiVo, etc.)
- A/V cable
- Digital converter box
- Analog TV
- Install the digital converter box if you have not already. You will not need to connect the audio and video cables yet, but attach an antenna to the antenna port on the converter box.
- Install your video recorder. This will be similar for most devices. Attach the video and audio ports on the converter box to those on the video recorder. This may require either composite or coaxial cables.
- If you are using a VCR or DVD recorder, set up a time period for a scheduled recording. You will need to manually change the channel on the converter box to the channel that you want when you record TV shows.
- If you are using a TiVo or another recorder that can use an infrared blaster to control another device, install the IR blaster in front of the converter box. Plug it in to the IR port on the back of the TiVo. Make sure the TiVo software is up to date and then run setup to set the TiVo to be able to change the channel on the digital converter box. The TiVo should be able to automatically change the channel so you will not need to manually change the channel before you record TV shows.
Tip: Some converter boxes automatically turn off after a period of time. Make sure to check the settings on the converter box to turn off this feature if it is included before you begin to record TV shows.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.