How To Refill A Hewlett Packard Ink Cartridge
Need to know how to refill a Hewlett Packard ink cartridge? Refilling Hewlett Packard ink cartridges not only saves money, but helps the environment by reducing the amount of plastic that ends up in landfills. This process is different depending upon the cartridge number but there are several basic steps to be followed.
To refill a Hewlett Packard ink cartridge, you will need:
- Ink cartridge
- Inkjet refill kit
- Paper towels
- Rubber gloves (sometimes included in the inkjet refill kit)
- Washable work area like a sink
- Pencil or pen
- Piece of note paper
What to Do:
- Determine the cartridge number. To determine the number on the Hewlett Packard ink cartridge remove the cartridge from the printer and look on the sticker affixed to the cartridge. Write down the numbers written on the cartridge. The number to write down will be a 2-digit number in large bold print.
Purchase an inkjet cartridge refill kit compatible with the cartridge you are refilling. Inkjet refill kits have a compatibility list on the box that will specify which cartridges it is designed to refill. Verify that the kit is designed for refilling your particular Hewlett Packard ink cartridge by comparing the cartridge number you have written down to the compatibility list on the box.
- Read the instruction manual in the refill kit. This manual will give instructions for refilling your specific Hewlett Packard ink cartridge. Each ink cartridge refills differently so make sure you completely understand the steps that your particular cartridge takes before beginning the procedure. This manual will also contain instructions for resetting the ink levels on your printer that you will need to read as well.
- Prepare your work surface. Place a layer of paper towels on your work surface to protect it. The ink can stain some surfaces so prevention is key to avoiding unsightly ink spots on surfaces.
- Protect your hands from staining. Don a pair of rubber gloves before beginning the refill procedure.
- Follow the refill instructions. Follow the instructions listed in the inkjet refill kit's manual to refill the Hewlett Packard ink cartridge. Use paper towels to promptly clean any spills or drips.
- Follow the ink level reset instructions. These steps will reset the ink levels registered by your printer to enable the printer to correctly judge the new ink levels in the cartridge.
- Insert the refilled ink cartridge in the printer. You may be prompted to print a calibration page--if this happens, allow the procedure.
- Refill a Hewlett Packard ink cartridge before it totally runs out for best results. When an ink cartridge runs out of ink while printing the print heads heat up and any remaining ink can dry on the print heads, creating print quality issues and possibly damaging your ink cartridge.
- Do not install a leaking cartridge in your Hewlett Packard printer. The leaking ink can damage your printer. The manual that comes with your inkjet refill kit will contain steps to minimize leaking in the event it occurs.
- Avoid touching the copper contact areas on your ink cartridge. This area is easily damaged and can render your ink cartridge unusable.