How To Refinish Kitchen Cabinets
Are you remodeling your kitchen and looking into refinishing the kitchen cabinets? Refinishing your kitchen cabinets gives the whole kitchen a face-lift for a low price. There are a few things you will need to know first, though. Here’s how to refinish your kitchen cabinets the right way.
Materials you will need to refinish kitchen cabinets:
- Drop cloths
- Roller covers
- Roller frame
- Wood glue
- Paint or varnish
How to refinish kitchen cabinets:
- Remove everything from the cabinets and drawers. Also, remove the shelves from the cabinets. Check for signs of damage and fix them before you begin to refinish your kitchen cabinets.
- Prepare to refinish kitchen cabinets. Cover the counters and floor with drop cloths. Then remove the handles and hinges from each door.
- Wash down the cabinets, doors, and drawers with a household cleaner. Then rinse with cool water to prepare for cabinets for refinishing.
- Fill holes with wood glue. After holes have been filled, lightly sand the doors, drawer fronts, and frames to remove gloss. Vacuum up the sanding dust.
- Apply paint or varnish to your kitchen cabinets. Paint the doors first, then the drawers and, finally, the face frame. Wait for it to dry.
- Then refinish kitchen cabinets with a second coat. Wait for paint or varnish to completely dry before reapplying the handles and hinges. It may be a good idea to use new hardware for your kitchen cabinets.
- Replace the doors. Ensure that they are level with the frame and with each other.