How To Refinish Water Base Varnish On Furniture
It is important to know the proper way to refinish water base varnish on furniture. You can’t just throw on a new coat of varnish and call it good. There is a certain process which must be followed in order to refinish water base varnish properly on your furniture.
Materials you will need:
- Can of water base varnish
- Brush or roller
- Sandpaper or sanding sponge
- Tack cloth
- Canvas or plastic drop cloth
What you will need to do:
- Lay your drop cloth on the floor. This is important if you plan on refinishing your furniture indoors, in order to protect your flooring. Place your furniture on the drop cloth.
- Sand the old layer of water base varnish from the furniture. Use a medium to large grit sandpaper or sanding sponge then smooth the wood with a fine grit sponge. Remove dust from your furniture with a tack cloth.
- Brush or roll a coat of water base varnish onto your furniture. Don’t forget to go with the grain. Also, don’t be afraid to apply a generous amount of varnish.
- Let the first coat dry. Read the label on the can of water base varnish for the drying times. Once the first coat has dried, gently sand the varnish on your furniture with fine grit sandpaper. Wipe down with a tack cloth.
- Apply a second coat of varnish. Let the second coat of water base varnish dry on your furniture and do not sand it off this time. Now your furniture is ready to be utilized!