How To Register A Salvage Motorcycle

You should learn how to register a salvage motorcycle before you decide to buy one. The best way to get a salvage title is to contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles, or DMV, and ask them what they require in order for you to register a salvaged motorcycle. You should not buy the motorcycle without knowing what the cost will be to register and restore it. Get an estimate from a qualified mechanic, and if you think the salvaged motorcycle is worth repairing, complete the sale and obtain the registration paperwork.

  1. Go to your local DMV office and fill out the registration form. You will need the Vehicle Identification Number, or VIN, to register a salvaged motorcycle. The exact mileage is also required, as well as a copy of your driver's license.
  2. Find out the fee to obtain the title for the salvage motorcycle. This will vary depending on which state you live in. Once you have paid the fee and submitted the registration paperwork, ask the DMV clerk how long the processing will take.
  3. Contact your insurance company to update your policy. Add the salvaged motorcycle to your insurance policy, and choose the coverage based on the restored value you think the motorcycle will be worth.
  4. After you restore the motorcycle, you can apply for a rebuilt title. Take your old title with you to the DMV, and apply for a rebuilt title for your restored motorcycle. You may want to drive the motorcycle to the DMV office, in case they need to visually inspect it to verify the restoration.
show comments

What Others Are Reading Right Now.