How To Register As Self Employed
When it comes to making some money, it is a dream come true to learn how to register as self employed. Self employment brings in more money for the economy due to more job opportunities opening for people (though this depends on what kind of business it is). However, if you prefer working by yourself, you may want to have your own business while being your own boss.
- Brainstorm on what kind of business you want to register. It is important to know what kind of business you want to get into. This business should be one you enjoy doing while making money. You can decide whether to work at home or have an out of the house office to use for your new business. It is one of the steps on how to register as self employed.
- Find out your local zoning laws and get the business license and certification if necessary. One of the worst things that can hurt your own business is to forgo getting your own business license, especially if you have customers over or have employees at certain location. You can hurt your business if you do not find out which licenses or certifications you need. You can call up your local city hall to register in person.
- Decide to use either your social security number or get a EIN. An EIN stands for "Employer Identification Number" which is used for people that are self employed and for some kinds of businesses. If you want to not use your social security number as a solo worker, EIN is a way to get paid for the work that you do. It is a way to register as self employed.
- Go to your local city hall to register your business. Your local city hall can help you to register your business, which should not take long. You will have to pay a one time a year fee in order for you to operate your business. Your local city hall is a good idea to register as self employed.
- Have an attorney to draft up a business agreement. Before you get started on getting clients, have an agreement made before you get your first client.
- Market your business and network with people. Market your business to as many people as you can, developing your client list and furthering your networks. You can start by going to your local networking events. For example in Seattle, there is Biznik. They have different events in the Seattle area each week. You may want to look into that and other ones in your area. And, you might consider meeting some potential clients by going to out of state events, too.
- Look for and hire an accountant. You need to pay your own taxes and you may need the help of an accountant or bookkeeper. You need to have your finances in order before your taxes are due. Self employment is somewhat scary on taxes. It is one of the important steps to take when you register as self employed.