If you can learn how to relax your anal sphincter in preparing for your colonoscopy, the preparation for the test will be more difficult than the test itself. Compared to drinking a jug of laxatives, your colonoscopy will be a breeze if you follow a few relaxation and breathing techniques. Here are some simple steps to help you relax your anal sphincter in preparation for your colonoscopy:
- Find a quiet, comfortable area to lie down flat on your back. Take a few deep breaths and just relax.
- Try to completely clear your mind. Sometimes thinking about a white sheet in your mind helps to clear things out.
- Take a deep breath and slowly exhale completely. Let all the air out slowly while you relax your body. It should feel like your body is sinking.
- Repeat this five times. Your body should be very relaxed.
- Now, concentrate on your feet. Visualize your feet being completely relaxed. When they are totally relaxed, work up to your calves, and then thighs, buttocks and then your anal sphincter. Visualize everything being completely relaxed.
- When the time comes for your colonoscopy, relax using the technique you have learned. Before the doctor inserts the probe, take a deep breath. Breathe out slowly as he inserts the probe into your anal sphincter for your colonoscopy.
- As the doctor is inserting the probe into your anal sphincter, push out slightly. Push like your are having a bowel movement. You can't tense up if you are pushing out.
Mastering this relaxation technique will make your colonoscopy go much smoother. You will be able to concentrate and relax your anal sphincter and the rest of your body. If you are tense and tighten up your anal sphincter as your doctor inserts the probe, it will be painful and take longer. That is why relaxation is so important. If you are concentrating on your body and keep your mind clear, you will not be tense and tight and the procedure will go smoothly and be over before you know it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.