How To Remove An Alternator On A 2002 Kia Optima
The alternator on your Kia is going bad and you need to know how to remove an alternator on a 2002 Kia Optima. A lot of Kias alternators have been known to go out very quickly. The 2002 Kia Optima alternator produces electricity as the engine runs to charge the battery and keeps it charged. Without a working alternator your battery will not stay charged, and therefore your car will not run properly until your alternator is replaced. Being able to remove the alternator from your 2002 Kia Optima yourself will only take about an hour of your time and will save you hundreds of dollars.
To remove an alternator fort a 2002 Kia Optima you need:
- wrench set
- socket wrench set
- Disconnect the battery. Disconnect the positive terminal bolt from the battery by turning it counterclockwise. Make sure it is out of the way of the terminal to not to be able to have contact with the battery.
- Access the engine. Remove the small screws and retainer clips from the metal brackets. Remove the metal brackets that run from the top of the radiator to the engine. This will allow enough room to access and remove the alternator on your 2002 Kia Optima.
- Remove the belt from the alternator. Loosen the belt by pushing on the belt tension pulley. Carefully pull the belt off of the alternator's pulley wheel. Don't completely remove the belt from your 2002 Kia Optima; just leave it hanging in place for easy replacement.
- Loosen the alternator bolts. Use a socket wrench to turn the bolts counterclockwise until they are completely loosened on the alternator.
- Remove the alternator. Unplug the electrical wiring connected to the alternator. Remove the alternator by carefully wiggling it out of the mount on your 2002 Kia Optima.
- To install a new alternator reverse the above step.