So, your old, reliable Kenmore washer has gone kerplunk, and you are wondering how to remove the back of a Kenmore 80 series washer. It’s not really that difficult, and these days lots of people are looking for ways to cut repair costs. When you figure out how to take the back off of your washer, that’s half the battle. Before doing anything, however, always unplug your Kenmore 80 series washer from the wall socket. Here is a basic guide to teach you how to remove the back off your Kenmore washer yourself.
To remove the back from your Kenmore 80 series washer, you will need:
- A Phillips screwdriver
- A flat head screwdriver
- A quarter-inch nut driver or socket wrench
- Put on your gloves. This is optional. Wearing gloves prevents you from cutting your fingers or skinning your knuckles. They are also good to have on so you do not get grease on your hands.
- Take off the trim. On the control panel (where all the buttons are), you will see two plastic trim pieces. Press the top of the trim down, using only your fingertips. If you use a tool, it may break. If it doesn’t unlock easily, hook your fingers around the trim and lift it up gently. Press it down with your thumb and pull it forward. This will unfasten the clip. Repeat the process on the other side of your Kenmore 80 series washer.
- Move the trim. When you tilt it towards you and take it off, it will expose two screws (Phillips head), one on both sides. These screws are what hold your Kenmore 80 series washer control panel to the machine’s cabinet. Put the trim nearby so you don’t lose it, but not so close that you step on the trim and break it.
- Take out the screws. With your Phillips head screwdriver, remove the first screw. Next, jump over to the other screw and take it out. Turn them gently so you don’t accidentally strip them. Place them near the previously removed trim.
- Lift the control panel. Carefully tilt it back. It may feel loose but it has hinges and should stand on its own. Regardless, never let it flop.
- Remove the cabinet. The cabinet has two metal clips that attach to the back panel. Use your flat blade screwdriver to remove the clips. The clips should easily pop out. Pay attention to how the back of the clip holds the back of the Kenmore 80 series together. You will want to remember this when you reassemble it. Take the clips and put them where you have put the trim and the screws.
That’s it! You’ve now learned how to remove the back of your Kenmore 80 series washer all by yourself. To diagnose the problem, write down the symptoms and go online to get the Kenmore washer’s manual, or visit an appliance technician’s forum. They are usually very helpful and can typically nail what your washer’s issue is very quickly, as well as offer information on parts and how to install them.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …