Wondering how to remove the fuel tank from a 1994 Pontiac Firebird? Removing the fuel tank from a 1994 Pontiac Firebird is a fairly involved procedure which will require additional manpower, proper safety procedures, and some proper tools. The fuel tank is a fairly large and awkward item which may require an assistant. Additionally, the removal of the fuel tank in a 1994 Pontiac Firebird requires the removal of some rear end components which increases the difficulty of the task.
Items needed to remove the fuel tank from a 1994 Pontiac Firebird:
- Various wrenches and sockets
- Jack stands
- Hand operated pump
- Tank stand
- Mechanic creeper
- Gas can(s)
- Stiff brush
- Clean cloths
- Wood plugs
- Loose bolt can
- Safety glasses.
- Assemble tools. Assemble the tools you will need in advance. Put them in an easy to reach location for working under the car. There is nothing worse than having to constantly get up and go find tools. A mechanics creeper will help you slide in and out from under the car.
- Disconnect electricity Use a proper wrench and disconnect the negative battery terminal. This will help prevent sparking and possible fire danger.
- Remove gas cap. Remove the gas cap to relieve pressure in the fuel system. Sit the cap aside somewhere where you will not lose it.
- Empty tank. Use a hand operated pump and remove the fuel from the fuel tank. Make sure to put the gas into proper gas cans for storage.
- Raise the car. Using the jack and jack stands raise the car up high enough to work under. Make sure the jack stands are on solid support and will take the weight of the vehicle solidly.
- Remove neck shield. Using the proper wrenches and screw drivers remove the fuel filler neck shield where it is attached to the rear body quarter panel.
- Clean assemblies. Using a stiff brush clean the bolts, pipes, axles and other assemblies you will be working with. Nothing is more irritating when working under a car than constantly getting dirt and rust in your eyes, mouth, nose and ears.
- Remove rear axle assembly. Using the proper wrenches remove the rear axle assembly from the car. It is best to have an assistant here as it can be awkward. Put bolts back in holes where possible to prevent loss and to remember later where each bolt goes.
- Remove exhaust pipes. Using proper wrenches remove the exhaust pipes which are in the way. Put clamps and bolts in the can to prevent their loss.
- Remove heat shield. Use the correct wrenches and carefully remove the heat shield which protects the tank from the exhaust. Put bolts in the can to prevent their loss.
- Clean fuel hoses and all connections. Using a brush, and clean cloths clean all fuel hoses, pipes and connections. This time the cleaning is to prevent contamination of any fuel lines or the tank itself.
- Disconnect gas tank. Disconnect the fuel lines, hoses and electrical lines which are connected to the gas tank. Plug lines with small soft wood plugs or something similar to prevent gas spillage, or line contamination.
- Support tank. Slide the tank stand under the gas tank and support it. The help of an assistant here is helpful also. If you do not have a tank stand something may be improvised, but make sure it is steady and will hold the tank from falling.
- Remove tank straps. Remove the tank straps using a proper wrench. Make sure not to bend the straps as they can be damaged. They are all that holds it in place, the tank will fall or settle in place on the stand as the straps are removed.
- Remove tank. Slide the tank stand and tank out from under the car.
There, you have successfully removed the fuel tank from your 1994 Pontiac Firebird. Please remember that you are working around gasoline and in the case of a gas tank, gasoline vapors; which are very explosive. Smoking, and other fire sources should be strictly avoided. This should include any nearby pilot lights.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.