Knowing how to remove gum from jeans could save your favorite pair of denim. It can be a pain to remove gum from clothing, but there are a few simple steps that make the process easier. The steps below on removing gum from jeans are listed from simplest to most aggressive method.
If you want to remove gum from jeans, you will need:
- Microwave-safe container
- White distilled vinegar
- Spot remover
- Old towel
- Clean cloth
- Paper towels
- Laundry detergent
- Take it to the cleaners. If the item is dry cleanable, take it to the cleaners and show them where the gum is. Gum is dissolved by the fluid used in the dry cleaning process, so they should be able to easily remove gum from your jeans.
- Chill the gum. Gum is hard to remove when it is elastic. Take a piece of ice and hold it against the gum until it becomes brittle. Then, you can scrape the gum off carefully.
- Soak with vinegar. To remove the gum, pour vinegar into a container and warm it in the microwave for one minute. Soak the gum with the warmed vinegar to dissolve it so you can easily remove the gum from your jeans.
- Blot with a spot remover. Apply some solvent-based spot remover. Lay the jeans face down on an old towel and blot from the inside of the fabric with a cloth or paper towel until the gum is loosened by the remover.
Tips & Warnings:
- Once the gum has been removed, rinse the spot with water thoroughly and then launder. Use warm or hot water.
- Test the spot remover on the inside hem or waistband to test for color fastness before applying it to the gum.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.