How To Remove Ink Stains From Clothing
If you are wondering how to remove ink stains from clothing, fear not. Whether it is ink from a pen, marker or a stamp, you can get it out. Don't go throw away your shirt with ink on it yet.
Items you will need to remove ink stains from clothing:
- Clean white rag
- Cotton swabs
- Laundry detergent
- Rubbing alcohol
- Hair spray
- The quicker you catch the ink stain the easier it is to remove. Use your clean white rag and first blot the ink as best as you can without rubbing it in. Getting as much of the wet ink off the article of clothing will help immensely. Each time you blot the ink use a different section of the rag so you don't add more ink to your clothing.
- Pour a little laundry detergent on the ink stain. Laundry detergent is a great stain lifter if you catch the ink stain quickly. Let it set for about ten minutes. Once the detergent has had time to work on the ink stain, put your clothing into the wash in cold water.
- Remove your clothing from the wash. If there is still an ink stain on your clothes after you have washed it, do not put your clothing into the dryer. The heat from the dryer will set the ink stain into the fabric even more. At this point it will be near impossible to remove the ink stain.
- For set in ink stains you will need a tougher approach. Take a cotton swab and dip it into some rubbing alcohol. Gently rub the alcohol on the ink stain until the ink starts to disappear from your clothing. You may have to repeat this process a couple of times to remove the ink. Each time you repeat the process you will need a clean cotton swab.
- Another method to removing ink stains from clothing is hairspray. Hair spray is an alcohol based product, therefore it works well as a stain lifter. Simply spray hair spray on the ink stained area and rub it on the ink with a clean cotton swab. Continue to apply the hair spray to the ink and rub with a clean cotton swab until you see the stain lift.
- The last step it to wash your ink stained clothing in the washing machine. After you have pretreated your clothing with whichever ink remover works for your stain, put your clothing into the wash. Set the washer on cold water. Any use of heat will deter the ink from being completely removed.
- If all else fails take your ink stained clothing to the cleaners. This is the absolute best guarantee of your clothing to be taken care of properly. The cleaners are professionals. They have all the methods to care for your clothes and to remove all types of stains, even ink.