You step in a puddle of oil some guy left in the parking lot of your condominium and you only realize it when you step into your living room, and now you need to know how to remove oil stains from carpet. (Thanks, dude, for leaving that mess in the lot!) We'll help you get out of it in a few steps.
Things you will need to remove oil stains from carpet:
- Clean towels/Paper towels
- Grease fighting soap
- Rubbing alcohol
Steps to remove oil stains from carpet:
- It's important to clean up any oil stains as soon as you discover them. The longer they sit, the harder it is to remove oil stains from carpet.
- Remove any extra junk left on the top of the carpet with a scooping device, Think spoon. Without digging the oil stain in deeper, gently scrape up excess oil and grime.
- Always work from the outside of the oily carpet stain to the inside of the stain, which prevents spreading.
- Get a clean damp cloth and blot the excess oil. It is important that you blot, blot, blot, as scrubbing will ruin carpet fibers and may actually rub the oil stain in deeper.
- Cover the entire stain with cornstarch. The cornstarch will act as a wick and remove oil out of the carpet.
- Let the cornstarch sit on the stain for at least one hour, then vacuum up the excess.
- Okay now use a diluted soapy solution and blot it onto the carpet stain. Grab a bunch of clean damp towels and blot the soapy stain. The soap should help to dissolve some of the greasiness so continue the process until you feel most of the grease has come out.
- Place a clean towel onto the carpet and weight it down. Let the towel suck up the remaining moisture. Change the towel if it becomes too damp.
If these steps did not remove oil stains from carpet completely, you'll have to try rubbing alcohol:
Test a small hidden section of your carpet, like behind a door or a hidden corner, to see how rubbing alcohol reacts with your carpet. If you are satisfied that no adverse effects occur, proceed with the next steps to remove oil stains from carpet.
- Use a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a clean cloth. Again blot at the stain. If your cloth becomes dirty, switch it out for a new one.
- Continue blotting until the oil stain is completely gone.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …