How To Remove A PC Virus
Need to know how to remove a PC virus? Viruses and spyware can wreak havoc on your computer very quickly if you do not nip them in the bud. There are free and paid options to remove a PC virus, as well as preventing them from infecting your computer in the first place.
- Install antivirus software on your computer as soon as you suspect there is a virus. The longer you let the virus go, the more damage it can do. Some damage could result in permanent loss of important files. You can purchase antivirus software at any electronic store, and some are available for download online.
- Update the antivirus software's definitions. Virus definitions have to be updated on a regular basis to keep up with new viruses that are constantly being programmed and released. Your software may not be able to remove a PC virus if the definitions have not been updated with that particular virus's information.
- Reboot your computer in Safe Mode. This will make your PC run with only the files that are absolutely necessary to operate. Your computer may not be able to remove a PC virus that is already running in the background.
- Run the virus scan on your computer. You want it to scan your whole computer. The scan could take awhile, depending on how big your hard drive is and how many files you have. The scan may pop up with a prompt when it finds a PC virus, or it may display it at the end of the scan.
- Delete all harmful files shown by your PC virus scan. Write down the names of any items that are not able to be deleted, so you can manually research and delete them. You may be able to quarantine the virus for the time being.