If you no longer like the look of the gold plating on your silver jewelry, you can learn how to remove plating from silver jewelry. Gold is a stable chemical. Because gold is so stable, it can be difficult to remove. Fortunately, with proper techniques it can be done. Before removing the layer of plating, you may want to consider that the layer may have been put on for protective purposes. Once the silver is exposed, it may be weak. You will need to care for your silver jewelry accordingly.
In order to remove the plating from silver jewelry, you will need the following.
- A mildly abrasive cleaning pad
- Felt cloth
- Jeweler's rouge
- Silver polish
- Soft cloths
- Tripoli compound
- Start by using the mildly abrasive pad to remove all the gold you possibly can. Apply slight pressure to the piece and scrub in a circular motion. You will begin to remove the thin layer of gold covering the top of the gold plated sliver.
- After you have removed the gold, the surface will be scratches. You will need to use the Tripoli compound to buff away the scratches. Apply a small amount to the piece. Use the felt cloth to buff the surface until it is smooth.
- Apply jeweler's rouge immediately after. Rub the surface with the soft cloth. This will restore the shine to the silver.
- Use another dry soft cloth to wipe off excess jeweler's rouge. Follow with a coat of silver polish. Allow the piece to dry. Once you have completed all the steps, you will have revealed your new silver jewelry. Time to show it off.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …