How To Remove Scratches From Stainless Steel
Knowing how to remove scratches from stainless steel is not often necessary. Stainless steel is a durable and stain-resistant material which is common in modern kitchens. It is often used in cookware and appliances. It is durable, but on occasion, your stainless steel may obtain small scratches which will mar the look of your item. Most shallow surface scratches on stainless steel can be removed. It is easier to remove scratches from stainless steel if it has a brushed surface than a shiny one.
You will need:
- Stainless steel cleaner
- Paper Towel
- Non-metallic abrasive pad
- Clean the stainless steel before you start. This includes sinks, appliances or pots. Dry the item with a soft cloth. Cleaning the item will allow you to see the scratch better and prepare it for the repair.
- Apply the commercial stainless steel cleaner to the scratch. It can be a cream or a liquid. Keep the area wet with the cleaner as you work.
- Use the non-metallic abrasive pad to lightly buff the cleaner into the scratch. Buff with long uniform strokes in the direction of the polishing grain. Avoid buffing against the grain which can cause more scratches or a spot on the metal
- Rinse and dry the work area occasionally. Check to see if the scratch is less noticeable. Repeat the cleaning and buffing step until the scratch is blended into the stainless steel. Removing deep scratches from the stainless steel may not be possible.
- Remove any oily residue left by the cleaner with vinegar. Rinse with water and dry completely to keep water stains from forming.