Remove a transmission from a 1999 Ford Escort when the vehicle encounters shifting problems. Transmission replacement becomes necessary when the '99 Escort changes gears slowing, grinding noise when changing gears, hard gear shifting or not at all. Other signs include leaking transmission fluid or burnt smell from the transmission fluid.
You will need:
- 10mm socket
- 13mm socket
- 14mm socket
- 17mm socket
- Pry bar
- Disconnect and remove the battery.
- Loosen the battery tray bolts with a 10mm socket and ratchet.
- Remove the battery tray.
- Use a 13mm socket and ratchet to remove the top bolts on the transmission.
- Remove the cooling hoses from the transmission.
- Place chocks behind the rear wheel and jack up the front of the 1999 Ford Escort. Make sure the emergency brake is on.
- Remove the two front tires and set them aside.
- Remove the two strut bolts using a 17mm socket and ratchet.
- Remove the axle nut and pull away spindle to remove the axle from the spindle.
- Pry right and left axles from the transmission with a pry bar. Be careful not to damage the transmission when prying.
- Remove the transmission mount bolts with a 14mm socket and ratchet.
- Remove the transmission mount bracket with a 17mm socket and ratchet.
- Remove the remaining transmission bolts with a 13mm socket and ratchet.
- Remove the torque converter bolts with a 14mm socket and ratchet.
- Support and jack up the transmission with a jack to remove it from the 1999 Ford Escort.
When removing the transmission from a 1999 Ford Escort the vehicle needs to be jacked up at least 42-inches or raised on a lift. Removing the transmission is a somewhat difficult and time consuming job for an at-home mechanic, but it is possible.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …