Pet accidents happen, which is why all pet owners should know how to remove urine stains from hardwood floors. For best results, treat the stain as soon as possible, as dried urine stains darken with age and will become extremely difficult to remove. If you do not learn how to remove urine stains from hardwood floors, you'll find that the set-in urine will bleach the boards, leaving them discolored and unattractive.
- Enzyme based stain remover
- Paper towels
- Plastic trash bag
- Wood cleaner with orange oil
- Soft rag
How to remove urine stains from hardwood floors:
- Act quickly. As soon as you notice the urine stain, begin treating it at once. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be remove.
- Wipe off excess urine. Use paper towels to wipe off excess urine. Work from the outside in, so you don't spread the urine to untouched wood. Once all the excess urine is removed, blot the area with a damp paper towel.
- Apply the stain remover. The trick to learning how to remove urine stains from hardwood floors, is to use an enzyme based stain remover. This product can be found at any pet supply store. If an enzyme based product is not used, you will not have good results. Soak the stained area with the stain remover.
- Cover the stain. To keep the area from drying out, and to prevent slips or falls, cover the area with a large plastic trash bag. Do not use any material with writing or lettering, as it can transfer onto the hardwood. Allow the stain remover to stay on the floor, and cover with the bag for several hours.
- Blot. The next step in learning how to remove urine stains from hardwood floors, is to remove the plastic bag and blot the stain remover off of the wood. Use dry paper towels to get all the excess moisture off of the floor.
- Rinse. Now, wet a clean rag and go back over the area. Try to remove all of the stain remover from the wood.
- Shine. The last step in learning how to remove urine stains from hardwood floors, is to shine the floor with a wood cleaner infused with orange oil. This will help restore the wood's natural color and make it look like new.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.