How To Remove A Windshield
Need to learn how to remove a windshield? Removing the damaged windshield from your car yourself can save you money and prevent an accident because of poor visibility. Removing your windshield can be easily done providing you have the proper tools that can be purchased at your local auto parts store. Below are steps to removing your windshield to prepare you to install a new one.
To remove a windshield, you'll need:
- Utility knife
- Cold knife
- Trim removal tool
- Set of socket wrenches
- Large towel or blanket
- small towel
- Safety glasses
- Use socket wench to remove windshield wipers then sit them aside.
- Put blanket or large towel over the windshield and push the trim removal tool under the trim, cover this tool with the small towel to prevent the windshield from getting scratch.
- Slide the tool under the trim until it catches the clips then gently pull the tool way from the clips, when the clips are released you will hear a sound.
- Remove the trim and sit it aside, now use the utility knife to cut the window seal going around the entire windshield.
- Place the knife blade between the metal frame and the windshield. Turn the handle gently so that the blade will rotate under the windshield and into the butyl material.
- Pull the cold knife through the butyl material with the T Handle.
- Go to the inside of your car and push the windshield from the Top center of the glass gently.
- At this point you can have someone to assist you by helping you to lift the windshield up and out and setting it aside.
- Remove the old butyl material from the windshield opening using a utility knife.
Keep the blade aligned with the window shield at all times when rotating it under the windshield.
Wear gloves to protect your hands from cuts.
Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes.