If you are trying to save a few bucks, it is a good idea to learn how to renew a car battery. Although car batteries are not as expensive as one might think, if you are strapped for cash it can be expensive. The steps below will help you renew the charge in your car battery and breathe life back into your vehicle.
To renew a car battery, you will need:
- Safety goggles
- A non-metallic container
- Epsom salts
- A three-phase charger
- Distilled water
- Taking safety precautions should be the first step in undertaking this project. Safety precautions you should exercise include wearing safety goggles and working within a well-ventilated area. Also, wear gloves in case any of the battery's contents touch your hands.
- Remove the battery from the car. The car battery's cables can be loosened and then removed with a wrench. Once you have removed the battery, move it to an area that is ideal for working on the battery.
- After you have the car battery in a safe place, remove the cell caps. If the cell caps are sealed, you will have to drill a hole into the entry points that are located on the top of the car battery. The entry points are easily identifiable and are safe to use a drill on. After you have removed the cell caps or opened the entry points, pour the contents of the battery into a container. It is preferable to use a non-metallic container. Make sure the container is out of reach of children and pets.
- Pour a mixture of Epsom salts and distilled water into the battery. A good proportion for the mixture is seven ounces of Epsom salts for every quart of distilled water you use.
- Connect a three-phase charger to the car battery and set it to twelve volts. A charger can be ordered online or picked up at your local auto store. Follow the manufacturer's directions for connecting the charger to the car battery. After you have connected the charger to the battery, leave it to charge overnight or for at least twelve hours.
- Now that the car battery is renewed, reconnect it to the car. You may have to renew the battery again after a couple of weeks.
Renewing a car battery can be time consuming when you first do it. The great thing is that once you have done it a few times, you will be able to do it again quickly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.