Learning how to repaint fiberglass boat parts or the boat entirely is a simple task to do if you can grasp some basic concepts. There are some basic steps to be followed that will make this project a success. Keep in mind that safety is the first concern since some of the chemicals that are used and the waste that is produced can be harmful to your health if the proper measures are not taken.
Gather the supplies on the list below in order to begin using the steps that will teach you how to repaint fiberglass boat parts or the boat entirely.
- Face mask
- Safety Glasses
- Orbital sander
- 400 grit sanding discs
- 600 grit sanding discs
- Spray gun
- Blue Die
- Paint (be sure to use paints that do not release chemicals into the water)
- Paint thinner
- Masking tape
- Newspaper or other masking paper
- Prep the area. To repaint fiberglass boat parts or the entire boat, you first need to prep the area. To do this, sand the entire area with 400 grit sandpaper, then clean the area. Once the area is cleaned, mask off the area with masking tape and paper so that the surrounding areas do not get coated with over spray. Clean the area again.
- Prime the area. Before painting, the area to be painted needs primed. This helps the paint to last longer and adhere to the surface. Spray and even coat of primer on the entire area to be painted. Allow the area to dry.
- Sand the primer. If you want to repaint the fiberglass and end up with a smooth finish, the primer should first be sanded in order to remove any runs or uneven areas where the primer may look like orange peel. Cover the area with blue die. Sand the area with 400 grit sandpaper. You will see areas that need more work by seeing where the blue die is left. Next, sand the area with 600 grit sandpaper. Once the area is smooth, clean the area again.
- Paint the area. Paint the area of the fiberglass boat to be painted by using smooth light strokes. Move quickly so that there are no runs in the paint and the overall area has the same amount of paint on it. Use horizontal strokes, making enough passes to cover the entire area, then use vertical strokes in the same manner. (Please note that before you actually paint the fiberglass boat you may want to take some practice strokes in an area that is disposable, such as a piece of cardboard. In this manner you can make sure that the pressure is not too much or too little.
- Clean up. Use the paint thinner to clean items that have been used to repaint the fiberglass boat parts or entire boat. Be sure to use safety precautions when using paint thinner, such as avoiding contact with the eyes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …