Knowing how to repaint furniture is something you may want to learn to refresh or renew the look of old furniture. Repainting furniture is one of the most low-cost ways to make an old room look new when you are on a budget. Repainting furniture also is a good way to turn that hand-me-down furniture into something that reflects your style.
To repaint furniture, you will need:
- Liquid paint stripper
- Primer (tinted if using a dark color)
- Paint brushes
- Rubber gloves
- Rubbing alcohol
- Stripping the old paint. Before you can begin to repaint your furniture, you will need to strip the old paint from the surface. After you remove the hardware from the furniture, read the directions on the can of stripper. Apply the stripper as stated in the instructions. Once the stripper bubbles the old paint off, use the scrapper to remove the old paint. Apply as many coats as needed to get to bare wood.
- Wood preparation. Once the old paint has been removed, wipe down the furniture with a cheesecloth and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol with help remove any stripper remaining on the wood. When the wood has dried, sand any rough spots and wipe with dampened cheesecloth to remove the dust.
- Painting. When you are ready to repaint the furniture, start with an even coat of primer. The primer helps the paint adhere to the surface and gives you an even painting surface. Let the primer dry as specified on the can. Paint the first coat of paint on the furniture, paying special attention to the hard-to-reach areas. Once the first coat is dry, apply a second coat.
- Finishing touches. When paint is dry, it is time to reattach the old hardware or install the new hardware. Hardware is as important as the paint itself. It can accentuate the style, add a glimmer of class or even add a touch of whimsy. Once you repaint the furniture and add the hardware, stand back and enjoy your masterpiece.
The TV Easel takes traditional entertainment stands, scoffs at them, and then goes and has an affair with their girlfrie ...
Every man likes to think of themselves as some kind of builder. As soon as a household chore is requested, these men can ...
This underground, off-the-beaten-path furniture has been recovered from an abandoned Soviet military facility on Naissaa ...