With patience and the right tools, you can learn how to repair cigarette burns on sofas. This is a do-it-yourself project you can actually do. Try it on your sofa if it contains cigarette burns. It can save you money and improve the look of your living area.
To repair the cigarette burns on sofas, you will need:
- Fabric glue
- Wax paper or plastic wrap
- Remove the burned edges of the hole with small manicure scissors. Apply a small amount of fabric glue to the edges of the hole so the fabric will not fray or run. Only remove what is necessary to keep the fabric from looking stained and use a very small amount of glue to keep it from fraying.
- Cut a small piece of fabric from underneath or the back of the sofa to use as a patch. The patch needs to be one-fourth to one-half of an inch larger than the cigarette burn on the sofa.
- Place the patch over the damaged area to make sure it fits. If your sofa has a pattern or texture, make sure it matches.
- Put a small amount of stuffing into the hole if it is deep. If the material is burned and did not form an indention into the sofa, you can skip this part.
- Apply a dab of fabric glue into the hole using a toothpick. Be very careful not to use too much or drop glue on other parts of the sofa. Place a small amount of glue around the edges of the patch. Carefully slip the patch inside of the hole. Use tweezers or small pliers to help position the patch to cover the cigarette burn. This takes patience to get the quality repair you want.
- Place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap over the patched area. Place a book on top of the waxed paper to act as a weight. Leave for several hours to give the fabric glue a chance to dry.
Tips & Warnings:
- Make sure to use fabric glue. It is made for fabric and does not dry stiffly, making the patch less noticeable.
- Use a matching pillow for the patch. If the burn is on the arm of the sofa, it may be best to turn the pillow into arm covers.
- If you need to repair cigarette burns on a leather sofa, look into purchasing a kit for this type of furniture. Some fabric glues may dry darker. Test it on a part of the sofa which is hidden before using. Make sure you are satisfied it keeps the fabric's color and does not dry stiffly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.