Instead of throwing your instrument away, you should learn how to repair cracks in the guitar body. Luckily for you, we have a step-by-step tutorial that will have your guitar looking and sounding great in no time.
Things You Will Need
- Guitar Wax
- Wood Glue
- Silk Cloth
- Belt (Or Something to Bind the Guitar Body)
- The first step in repairing cracks in a guitar body is to assess the cracks. You need to determine if the cracks are too deep for you to repair. Cracks that are too deep should be repaired by a professional. If the cracks don't appear to be that deep, then you should be able to repair the cracks with no trouble.
- Once you have assessed the cracks, place wood glue in the guitar body cracks. You should put enough wood glue in to effectively seal the crack, but not enough to drip all over the rest of the guitar. You can pick up wood glue at any discount or home improvement store.
- After putting glue in the cracks, bind the guitar tightly. You can use everything from old rags to a belt to do so. The idea is to force the glued crack to dry together. If you are unable to bind it tightly by yourself, get a friend to help. You should allow for up to 24 hours for the wood glue to dry.
- Once the glue has dried, remove the binding you used and inspect the cracks. If the cracks appear to need more time to dry, rebind the guitar and give it 24 more hours to dry. If the crack appears to be dry, use guitar wax and a silk cloth to rub the body down.
It is important to take good care of your guitar. From time to time, it is a good idea to inspect your guitar for cracks so that you can treat the problem right away.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...