Need to know how to repair epoxy surfboards? For minor dings, it is quite simple to repair epoxy surfboards. Generally, the method used to repair epoxy surfboards is exactly the same as that used to repair traditional poly surfboards. The only difference is that you must use epoxy resin, as poly resin will melt epoxy foam.
To repair epoxy surfboards, you will need:
- Epoxy resin
- Fiberglass cloth
- A catalyst
- A razor blade or knife
- Masking tape
- A small cup
- A popsicle stick
- A paintbrush
- Identify the ding. Any crack that allows water to seep into the foam needs to be repaired immediately. Superficial dings can be repaired with resin alone. A more substantial ding, especially any ding where the foam is exposed, must be repaired with fiberglass cloth.
- Buy supplies. When setting out to repair epoxy surfboards it is imperative to buy epoxy resin. Polyurethane resin will melt epoxy foam.
- Dry the ding. When repairing epoxy surfboards, or any board for that matter, it is important to allow the foam to dry completely before sealing.
- Prep the area. Sand the area around the ding, remove all wax, and cut away any excess broken glass.
- Mix the resin. Add the directed amount of catalyst to the desired amount of epoxy resin in a small plastic cup. Stir.
- Tape the cloth. Tape off the ding with painter's tape.
- Cut the cloth. To repair epoxy surfboards with major damage you will need to use cloth. Cut the cloth in a rectangular shape slightly larger than the taped area.
- Painting. Use the brush to paint a bit of resin onto the ding. Apply the cloth. Now paint again so that the cloth is soaked through and firmly bonded to the board.
- Cure. Place the board in the sun and allow it to cure. It is impossible to properly repair epoxy surfboards if the resin does not cure.
- Cut again. When the resin has almost cured, take the knife and cut along the inside edge of the tape. Peel the tape to remove excess glass.
- Sand. When the board has completely cured (overnight if possible), take some sandpaper and sand the repaired area smooth. It should be water-tight and good to go.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Why Your Wife May Be Unhappy in Your Marriage and How it Can...
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.