Knowing how to repair a home stereo can come in handy when your stereo dies out on you. Home stereos are generally pretty durable. Minor repairs to your home stereo can extend its life and save you the cost of having to purchase a new one. Although most major repair jobs require a skilled technician, smaller repairs can be done by you at home.
You will need:
- Electrical contact cleaner
- Replacement antenna
- Connection wires
- Duct tape
- To fix most volume issues with a home stereo, spray electrical contact cleaner on the volume control knob. After spraying the contact cleaner on the volume control, move the knob back and forth to ensure it is properly lubricated.
- If you are experiencing a lot of static while listening to your stereo's radio, try replacing the antenna. To replace the antenna, purchase a replacement antenna from an electronics store or the manufacturer of the stereo. Remove the home stereo's antenna with a screwdriver and connect the replacement antenna.
- To repair a home stereo that is not emitting sound, check the stereo's connections. Ensure that all of the wires are secure and in the right place. If any of the wires appear to be damaged, trade them out for new ones. You can pick up new wires at your local electronics store or the manufacturer.
- If the speakers on the home stereo have been blown out, you may be able to repair them at home. Remove the faceplate from the speakers and check the cones of the speakers for any tears or holes. Using duct tape, cover both sides of the holes and reassemble the speakers.
For problems that are more serious than those listed, call a skilled technician. Most home stereo repairs are fairly inexpensive. Check with the technician for any specials before authorizing any repairs to your home stereo.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…