Learn how to repair a metal button hold on blue jeans and keep your denim for another day. A ripped or frayed metal button hole is an easy thing to fix, while repairing a torn off metal button is a bit more difficult, since you will have to replace the entire button. If you are handy with a needle and thread, you can repair a metal button hole on your blue jeans in less than half an hour.
To repair a metal button hole on blue jeans, you will need:
- Matching heavy duty thread
- Hand sewing needle
- Small piece of matching denim (if replacing the button)
- Button (any type, as long as it fits in the button hole)
- Seam ripper
- Thread your hand sewing needle. Tie a knot in the free end of the thread.
- If you are repairing a frayed metal button hole on blue jeans, push the needle through the jeans on the top edge of the button hole. You want the knot to be on the inside of the jeans. Stitch around the frayed area, tightening it up. Be careful that you do not shrink the size of the button hole too much, or else the button will not fit in.
- When you have closed the torn or frayed area, make three tiny stitches in the same spot. Loop the thread through the three stitches to form a knot then trim any excess thread.
- If you need to replace the metal button on the blue jeans, carefully remove the damaged metal button. You will be replacing the damaged button with a regular, sew-on button.
- Cut the piece of matching denim so that it fits over the button area, covering any frayed or torn parts. Sew the patch to the jeans by hand.
- Position the new button on the patch, so that it lines up with the button hole. Hand stitch the button in place.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...