Learn how to repair nail holes and cracks in hardwood floors when damage occurs to keep hardwood floors looking beautiful. Nail holes and cracks seriously detract from the attractiveness of floor and room. Hardwood floors add an elegant and stylish quality to any room.
Things you'll need:
- Wood putty, pre-mixed or powdered
- Putty knife
- Fine grit sandpaper
- Scratch cover pen
- Use pre-mixed or powdered wood putty. Powdered wood putty adds the advantage of being mixed to a thin consistency to cover surface damage or mixed into a thick consistency to fill in holes and deep scratches on hardwood floors.
- Use a putty knife, spackle knife or a finger to apply wood putty to scratches or holes. Forcefully press the wood putty into holes and scratches leaving the wood putty slightly higher than the surface of the hardwood floor.
- Allow the wood putty to dry completely. Sand the wood putty with a fine grit sandpaper to make it flush with the rest of the hardwood floor surface.
- Use a scratch cover pen in a color that matches the color of the floor. Color over the wood putty to completely hide and repair nail holes and cracks in the hardwood floor. Apply scratch cover in light coats to build the color.
Successful filling and repairing holes in hardwood floors result in an unnoticeable finished project. Always take the time to allow the wood putty to dry completely to attain a professional repair result. Repair damage from nail holes and scratches to restore hardwood floors back to like new condition.