How To Replace A 1994 Ford Escort Heater Core
Your heater recently stopped working in your Ford and you want to know how to replace a 1994 Ford Escort heater core. The heater core could be the problem if you see smoke coming from the defroster or if there are signs of antifreeze leaking on the passenger's side inside the your Ford Escort. It is best to replace the heater core as soon as possible, and make sure you have some help because this can be a challenging task. The entire dashboard on your 1994 Ford Escort must be disassembled in order to reach the heater core.
To replace a 1994 Ford Escort heater core, you will need:
- new heater core
- clean container
- Disconnect the Ford Escort's negative battery cable from the battery terminal. Also, disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core from underneath the hood. Drain the cooling system and pour the coolant into a clean container so that you can reuse it later. Turn the wheels straight ahead and make sure to lock the steering column.
- Carefully remove the steering wheel from its column. First disconnect the airbag module that is attached to the wheel by removing its bolts first, and then lift it off of the wheel and disconnect all of it electrical connectors. Remove the passenger air bag as well, by disconnecting the bolts and the connector located in the glove compartment.
- Remove the instrument panel from the 1994 Ford Escort. Remove the panel floor console and any additional trim panels that are adjacent to the floor console. Disconnect all electrical connectors on the instrument panel by first disconnecting the Powertrain Control module and the hood release handle, and then lower the steering column.
- Disconnect the 1004 Ford Escort heater core housing antenna lead. Disconnect the vacuum control motor connector and all of the vacuum lines from the evaporator housing. Remove the clamp screw on the air-conditioning evaporator outlet duct and disconnect he defroster nozzle connectors.
- Remove the heater core. Remove all of the nuts on the heater core housing. Carefully take out the heater dash panel seal, then open the heater core cover and remove the heater core from inside.
- Install the new 1994 Ford Escort heater core. Place the new heater core in the core housing and reassemble the housing. Reconnect the heater core housing, evaporator, and defroster connectors. Carefully reassemble the entire instrument panel, steering column, and airbag modules in the order that your removed them in. Connect the other heater hoses to the heater core, refill the cooling system with the same coolant, and reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Check for leaks. Run the engine for a little while on your Ford Escort and check for leaks in the control system. Make sure the heater is working properly again.