Need to know how to replace the alternator for a '96 Volkswagen Jetta? If your battery constantly dies or runs down, the alternator is probably to blame. The alternator is what charges and recharges the car battery to keep it going. The battery will eventually completely die if the alternator goes bad. You can save a lot of money changing the alternator yourself instead of going to the auto shop to get the alternator replaced. It is not hard to learn how to replace the alternator from a '96 Volkswagen Jetta.
To change the alternator from a '96 Volkswagen Jetta you will need:
- new alternator
- socket wrench set
- Disconnect the battery. Pop the hood open. Disconnect the black negative battery cable from the battery terminator.
- Remove the alternator drive belt. Loosen the mounting bolts that are located on the power steering pump. Guide the belt off of the pump pulley.
- Remove the alternator. Unplug the sense cable from the alternator. Remove the protective cap along with the nuts and washers from the alternator. Disconnect the electrical wiring from the alternator. Loosen the upper and lower mount bolts. Lift and remove the alternator from the '96 Volkswagen Jetta.
- Install the new alternator. Carefully place the new alternator on the mounting bracket. Replace the belt back over the pump pulley. Install the mounting bolts. Use the socket wrench to tighten the mounting bolts on the engine.
- Reconnect the black negative battery cable. Let down the hood and start up the engine. Let the engine run for a few minuets and then you can enjoy your ride in your '96 Volkswagen Jetta.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.