Ever thought about how to replace the bearings in the crank of Cannondale ST500?. Who says it is a job meant to be executed by trained mechanics only?. Not only it is a wonderful learning experience but it also provides a sense of achievement at the end of the day. The first impression of the job comes to be strenuous, boring and time-consuming, but in reality, it has every characteristic except these. Even an untrained person can replace the crank bearings of Cannondale ST500, if he follows the instructions carefully.
What you need:
- Ratchet with a 14 mm socket
- A big, flat surface
- A pair of pliers
Since in this case a three piece crank is being dealt with, it is prudent to explain it. A three-piece crank is called so because it consists of an axle and two separate cranks. The process of replacement of bearings is explained step-wise as:
- Remove the screw cap. The screw cap attachés the crank to the axle with a bolt. Employ a flat surface to remove the cap.
- Remove the bolts. The bolts attaching the crank to the axle on both right and left sides are taken off, with the help of ratchet and 14 mm socket.
- Detach both crank arms. Insert the puller in the crank so that it fits in the threaded crank hole. The puller is rotated clockwise while the crank is kept in a fixed position till the crank arm is detached from the axle. Similar procedure is applied to disassemble both crank arms.
- Take off the lock ring from the left bearing cap. The lock ring on the left side is screwed off the veering cap by using pliers with a firm grip.
- Disassemble the left side bearing cup. Position the pliers around the bearing cup with a firm grip and carefully turn the pliers, until the cup becomes loose, (in about a quarter turn). It can then be taken off manually.
- Take off the axle and bearing crowns. Disassemble these from the left as well as the right side.
- Detach the right side bearing cup. By employing pliers and rotating carefully in the clockwise direction, the right side bearing cup can be removed in a few turns. The right kind of technique is essential since this cup is very tightly fixed at its position.
- Examine all the parts carefully. Remove any dirt/dust on the axle and bearing cups. Ensure that there are no imperfections in the parts otherwise the bearings may be damaged in the long run.
- Lubricate the parts. Apply grease or Vaseline of good quality on axle, cups and bearings. Unless all the parts attain the highest standard of cleanliness, there is risk of gradual damage to the bicycle.
- Assemble the bearing cups, axle and bearings. The right side bearing cup is attached first by turning it in anticlockwise direction. Next, the axle and the bearings are placed. After that, bearings are placed in the left bearing cup. Then, the frame is secured tightly and checked to ensure that there is no friction and no play. The lock ring is then screwed on to the left bearing cup.
- Attach the crank arms. Make sure that the crank arms are very tight when assembled. Check them again and again to be on the safe side.
- Attend to any sort of noise or irregular sound being generated out of your bicycle parts. It may turn out to be something serious.
- Check all the nuts and bolts regularly, especially those holding the wheels in place.
- Take all the safety measures before riding the bicycle like wearing a helmet, adjusting the seat and handle bars to the proper level.
- Lubricate the gears and chains periodically to keep the bicycle in the best condition.
- Regular maintenance check ups are essential.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …